The sacrament of Anointing of the Sick gives grace for the state into which people enter through sickness. This grace is a gift of the Holy Spirit, who renews trust and faith in God and strengthens against temptations to discouragement, despair and anguish. It can be administered to someone at home, in a hospital or institution, or in church.
The special grace of the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick has as its effects:
- the uniting of the sick person to the passion of Christ, for his own good and that of the whole Church;
- the strengthening, peace, and courage to endure in a Christian manner the sufferings of illness or old age;
- the forgiveness of sins, if the sick person was not able to obtain it through the sacrament of penance;
- the restoration of health, if it is conducive to the salvation of his soul;
- the preparation for passing over to eternal life.