The Wonder of the Eucharist
Eucharist or Communion is a Sacrament we can receive often – every time we celebrate Mass or attend a Communion service. It is one of the Sacraments of Initiation by which we become full members of the church.
We gather as a community of faithful to worship, give thanks and praise to God and receive spiritual nourishment. The Liturgy has two main parts : Liturgy of the Word which prepares us for Liturgy of the Eucharist. It is a celebration with many familiar elements – gathering together as a family, sharing memories and stories, eating and drinking and giving thanks. In our own families and in our parish family there is a strong sense of belonging and community. As we recall the events of the Last Supper (Luke 22 : 14 – 20 ) when Jesus instituted the Eucharist, we relive those events .
We begin the Mass by asking forgiveness in the Penitential Rite before listening to the Liturgy of the Word which the priest explains in the Homily. We recite the Creed and the community offers prayers. We begin the Liturgy of the Eucharist with the gifts of bread and wine which we offer. The priest uses the same words as Jesus used when he consecrates the ordinary bread and wine which become the Body and Blood of Christ. Jesus becomes the gift we receive to give us spiritual strength. We become one with God and the members of our community, hence the word “communion”. We are dismissed from Mass to “love and serve the Lord “.
- The parish follows the mandated Archdiocesan policy of family-focussed, parish based, Catholic school and PREP supported.
- In the parish of St Peter the Apostle, candidates must register with the parish via the Sacrament Coordinator ( details below)
- Children must be baptised and have received the Sacrament of Penance ( Reconciliation)
- Children participate in an approved learning programme, either at a Catholic school in Year 4 class or in the Parish RE Programme (PREP). Classes for PREP are held every Tuesday during Terms One to Three.
- Dates are advised each year, but include
- a General Sacrament meeting for parents,
- a parent/child workshop
- a Retreat
- and a Mass at which Communion is received for the first time ( usually over a number of Masses in Term Three)
- Brochures which contain dates etc.. for the current year are uploaded to this website once available. Please contact Sacrament Coordinator, Chris Neville, for more details.